Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Designed for Eternal Bachelorhood

I confess that I've been watching this season's "The Bachelor."

I have never watched any of The Bachelor seasons before, or even episodes/clips. So I didn't know really how it worked. When season 15 started there was all this hype about Brad Womack (this year's bachelor) returning a second time because 3 years before he had refused to propose to any of the women and had broken hearts.

That past drama intrigued me, as well as just wanting to know how this show got popular. At first I was merely amused. But now I'm frustrated, mostly with myself for wasting several hours watching a bunch of brainless idiots "look for love."

The whole show seems designed for heartbreak and failure, if not now, later in life and possibly after a marriage commitment. How is a girl supposed to find true love by fighting for one man's attention amidst 29 other girls? And how is she, should she be "lucky" enough to be chosen in the end (either for marriage or for serious dating), how I ask, is she going to be able to trust said man after watching him either pretend or really have feelings and show affection to at least 15 other women for weeks and weeks? A few short dates and a few conversations alone with one man will NOT determine if he's a good fit. It might show whether they are compatible on a shallow level, but will not provide the environment or circumstances needed to see if the man is really a man and if the woman is a woman worthy of his true affection.

A reality show like The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, or a new one I heard about but am not interested in watching at all, Genuine Ken: The Great American Boyfriend (gaaaaag) - none of these shows are the right setting for anyone who honestly wants to settle down forever and be done with the search.

The answer? Get off TV, pick ONE person to focus on (as long as they also like you) and get some accountability.

It's bad enough to have two people running around without parental approval from the get-go or parental guidance in the case of a younger couple. But it's terrible to put a man in a harem and say "Okay, dude, have fun kissing and getting each woman emotionally attached, but you can't keep 'em all (cause that's, like, morally wrong)."

Hypocritical much?

Anyways. Just wanted to rant at the stupidity of our nation. I really do pray God would have mercy on America and turn her around! Send us honest, humble, reverent, and faithful Christian men to lead this country, Triune Lord, and revive your faltering church in this continent! Turn the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers.

No comments: