Friday, October 20, 2006

What is with Mel Gibson?

Why do people like Braveheart? I really don't understand.

Okay, so I wasn't able to finish watching it before someone returned the movie, but I got slightly more than half-way (I think). And some parts were interesting, but most of the first half was just William getting revenge for his wife's death. At least it sure looked like revenge, accompanied by graphic scenes showing exactly how the Englishmen died (and the Englishmen were ALL selfish, arrogant, incapable fighting pigs, according to the movie).

I have nothing wrong with revenge, if it's godly revenge. But is it? It confused me because he appeared to be having a personally 'get-even' thing, and yet later he claims it's all to free Scotland. And it certainly could have been all in Scotland and his wife's best interest to revolt against England. I certainly believe the real William Wallace did fight for Scotland's freedom. But the movie confused motives, at least I was confused by it.

There are so many other things that did not impress me; such as vulgarity displayed by virtually every main character. One main thing that did not impress me was Mel Gibson himself. I'm sorry, I just can't get over big actors in movies, it is EXTREMELY hard to suspend belief and pretend his is William Wallace when one has seen him in Signs, Young At Heart and many other movies. It is just like my beef with having Brad Pitt play Achilles in Troy. It just didn't work. They are just too popular to play such big roles. They are too American to act like Scots and Greeks.

I suppose one day I'll watch the whole movie, but until then, Braveheart is hardly in my top 50 favorite movies.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Well....he was born in New York! :)

Daniel Alders said...

Ok, I think the popularity of the movie mostly has to do with the popularity of the story. I've never met a fellow (or gal) who dislikes the character of William Wallace. He's just that type of person. Everyone is impressed with him. I think Braveheart is just the only real movie version of the story. So naturally people can't diss it. It's William Wallace! Played by Mel Gibson!

You've got a good point. I've only seen it twice. I think it's a good movie, but not all that everyone has cracked it up to be.